Friday, February 12, 2010

A Vote For Gillibrand In Brooklyn »

Brooklyn Democratic Chairman Vito Lopez might be a big Harold Ford Jr. fan, but Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand can count on at least one vote from a state committeeman who hails from the borough of Kings when convention time rolls around.

Councilman Lew Fidler sent me the following e-mail:

"I will be supporting Senator Gillibrand...and casting my votes at the State Convention as a member of the State Committee for her. I believe that I will be joined by a number of my colleagues from southern Brooklyn when I do so."

"While I had been waiting for an appropriate event to make this announcement, it seems to me that the sniping that has been going on between the Senate campaigns has gotten a bit out of hand. We ought to be uniting around a senator who has impressed, particularly of late, with a hands-on style of leadership."

"Frankly, I believe that our party is in for a serious electoral day of reckoning if we don't get back on course. The level of the discourse that we are currently having over a United States Senate seat is not helping."

In Brooklyn, unlike some other counties, all district leaders are state committee members, which means they all get to vote at the convention. Both Fidler and Lopez are district leaders. (Otherwise, as per party rules, Lopez wouldn't automatically be granted a vote as a county leader).

Fidler isn't alone in bucking the chairman on Ford vs. Gillibrand.
Read more from the Albany Times Union HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment