Thursday, February 4, 2010

Senator Gillibrand calls on Tops to Save Stores


Dear Mr. Curci,

I write to you today for three reasons. First, I want to congratulate you and thank you for your recent acquisition of Penn Traffic, P&C Supermarket’s parent company.

Second, I want to urge you to protect as many jobs and keep as many stores open as possible as the stores switch ownership. In the release that you put out on January 8, 2010, you stated that your goal was "… to keep as many jobs and operate as many stores, without interruption in service…" It is my hope that you stick to that pledge.

Third, I am concerned about the potential closures of any of the P&C stores that serve our rural communities. Many P&C stores serve our senior populations and those without adequate transportation would be forced to travel great distances to get to another grocery store, creating an extraordinary hardship. Therefore, I would urge you to work doubly hard to keep those stores in rural areas open.

In many towns, the supermarket is a central hub of the community and I urge you to consider the employees and their families during evaluation of the economic vitality of the 79 stores. I also offer you my assistance in ensuring that as many employees retain their jobs as possible.

Please feel free to get in touch with my office if you have any concerns or would like to talk further about this matter.

Sincerely,
Kirsten E. Gillibrand
United State Senator

No comments:

Post a Comment